Wednesday, May 02, 2007

i got a pocket full of cheese and a garden full of trees

So my pictures are fraught with suckassageness moreso tonight than ever so I can't show you what I'm working on but let me tell you, and, I hope, someone won't be mad at me about it, but I'm making a sample crocheted scarf for Neighborhood Fiber Company in Studio Worsted, in the Mt. Pleasant colorway (second down on the left, here.

So because I a) don't really know how to crochet, I just pretend I do but moving the little hooky thingy between yarn and my fingers and stuff, and b) have no idea what I'm doing with crochet, and c) see a and b, above, this thing looks rather fucked up now that I'm in the third row/ripple. Oh yeah I adapted the ripple design I adapted for the ripple blanket which is working well in the blanket and looks kinda fucked up in the scarf. But I'm pretending like I meant to do it that way and umm. Nobody in the world will ever want this pattern written down because nobody in the world will ever want it replicated, except that the yarn is beautiful and gorgeous and really, really nice.

And *ahem* when Karida gets around to having any time at all and has made every colorway she wants to, in about ten years or so, I look forward to a Columbia Heights colorway. Or, you know, Roswell, Georgia. Which would ruin the whole DC neighborhood thing. Which is why it's a pipe dream of mine. Cuz there are a lot of DC neighborhoods.

You know, the other day, I was walking down the street looking like shit so of course I got picked to be interviewed for some TV thing and the guy was asking me about development at the old convention center spot and I went on and on about disenfranchisement of the working poor by developing areas in the district and he said they were looking to give it a new neighborhood name and what did I think about that and I said I thought it would be many years before people stopped calling it "The Old Convention Center."

"Hey, Joe, I'm buying a condo at Fenty Plaza!"
"Where?"
"Fenty Plaza!"
"Where's that?"
"You know! 9th and H Street NW!"
"Oh, you mean where the old convention center used to be?"

I wonder what the Old Convention Center colorway would look like...

2 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

We have several landmarks around these parts that are still called by their old names. Some things will never change!

BTW - new MagKnits is up.

11:39 PM  
Blogger Karida said...

but you have to write the pattern out! and i'm sure it's beautiful and people will be constantly harrassing me about making one of their own. so there.

12:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home