Tuesday, May 23, 2006

the one who insists he was first in the line is the last to remember her name

There's nothing so wonderful as young adult literature.

I'm not talking the literary crap. I'm talking about those books we read in 8th grade, like Thirteen is Too Young to Die (lupus) and Mirrors Never Lie (anorexia). Will I Ever Dance Again? (republished just this year as Last Dance by Lurlene McDaniel, who also wrote Why Did She Have to Die? and Mother, Please Don't Die and She Died Too Young (One Last Wish)) was not only a literary classic, but also taught us all about ballet and juvenile diabetes.

I was thinking about this today, and how I still haven't read the third book in the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants series (ahem Trixie ahem), and I went into the used book store on 18th and got what looks to be a winner, the 4th book in the Daughters of the Moon series. No, I've never heard of it either.

And so I went to Knit, Purl, Hurl with a buncha fucking NAYSAYERS tonight. Naysayers who did not believe me when I said that in the book version of the movie "Pretty in Pink" (this was the book BASED ON the movie BASED ON the song, it's not backwards at all), Andie ends up with Ducky. Turns out, the book was based on the script before shooting, and John Hughes changed the ending at the last minute.

In any case, I've been asked to prove that the book exists. Here you go: on Amazon for a whopping 80 cents (I'm buying it and making all y'all read it) and here, up for bid on eBay, complete with an actual picture of the cover. To quote some reviewer on Amazon:
This book is very interesting to mw because the girl is very different. She does not seem to care what people think of her. I liked the fact that she met Blane but I don't like how his friends pressured him. If they were his friends they did not have to accept his girlfriend becaue she was not their girlfriend.
Finer words have never been written.

7 Comments:

Blogger Mel said...

I believe you, proof or not. I'd heard a long time ago that they shot the original ending, where Andie ends up w/ Ducky, but test audiences wanted her with the other dude.

I didn't read the books you listed, but I loved "Sooner or Later" (TV movie too) and the follow-up.

9:30 AM  
Blogger Mouse said...

I didn't know that about "Pretty in Pink"- but I always liked Ducky better than Blane anyway.

11:25 AM  
Blogger Trixie said...

Loved Ducky! Now you can buy the 80 cent version for me for my birthday to supplement last year's Trixie Belden journel which is so nice that I can't possibly ever write in it. I shall have to find something equally literary for you! And yes, you can borrow the third book IF I EVER SEE YOU AGAIN! Although you may still have the second one at your place. Look around please and I will dig out the third one. Maybe you will get for your birthday! Can I borrow the Nancy Drew book? We can swap!

11:32 AM  
Blogger dragon knitter said...

i've read the third one, and it's definitely different from the first 2. i didn't see the movie, but i heard that it barely matched the book. i hate it when they do that!

9:25 PM  
Blogger jenifleur said...

That sounds so sweet. I think you should start a crappy literature read/knit along type deal. No books over $1.50 and no books above an 8th grade reading level. I'd be so in.

11:35 AM  
Blogger Melissa said...

I read Pretty in Pink. I like the book end way more than the movie ending. Then again, you know I would have never been with a Blane.

I haven't even gotten through the second Sisterhood book yet. and movie SUCKED compared to the book. Why did I bother to watch it? I knew it wouldn't compare.

5:41 PM  
Blogger Micky said...

Yeah I liked Duckie too. Especially the way he sang his heart out in the record shop.
Blane was an ass for letting his friends dictate who he could date.
But Duckie got Buffy in the end.
Wouldn't that count as good karma, moviewise anyway?
:)

9:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home