Sunday, November 05, 2006

one time a thing occurred to me what's real and what's for sale

I don't have too many details yet and what I do have I don't want to share right now. That said, here's the deal.

There's a job, and I may or may not be qualified for it. It pays either a little bit more or a LOT more than what I make now. It's still in the DC Metro area.

Here's the thing. And this may come as a surprise to some of you.

I fucking LOVE my job. I adore it. It's constantly challenging, often dfrustrating, and I'm a total workaholic. I HATE jobs that make me focus on one thing. I want to do everything. I get to do everything with my current job. I likely wouldn't with another job.

So I can either be a money-grubbing whore, and do something that, frankly, I'm feeling a bit pressured about, or I can remain happy (and stressed) in my current position. (Keep in mind, the new one which I haven't been offered at all would likely be stressful anyway.)

4 Comments:

Blogger dragon knitter said...

do waht you love. if you like multitasking (what woman doesn't, lol!) then keep the job you've got. is there any chance of transferring back to georgia with the other job? or do you care at this point?

11:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I took a job that pays a lot more money than my last position.

Have I told you how much I hate my current job?

Yes, I'm a bit surprised to hear you say that you love your job, but doing what you love (or, at least, not doing what you hate) is so much more important that I ever thought it would be.

11:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's a huge cost/benefit analysis. My biggest question would be "How much more money would I have to make to rationalize being miserable/unhappy?"

When I left my last job (which I HATED), and came to my current job, all I cared about was getting the hell away from my last job. I got a significant raise in pay once I changed, and my work environment/job was a million times better.

My girlfriend was my replacement at the Awful Job, and she justified being there b/c she made twice as much money then at her last job- with basically zero commute time. When they canned her, she went back to her old place of business (where she was happy) and they matched her pay and gave her a better job.

So, I guess what I'm saying is: It will work out.

12:04 PM  
Blogger Big Alice said...

I left my last job that paid me quite a bit more (not 2x or anything, but a definite amount of MORE). Because I truly hated it and at that point it was more important to me to get to a better work environment even if I had to take a pay cut. I'm so much happier. The loss of the money is a sting but it doesn't mattter to me so much as not hating every day of work that I had to do (and wanting to rip off the heads of some of my coworkers).

I mean, there's something to be said for money-grubbing, but the pressure thing sounds uncomfortable.

2:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home