Wednesday, September 01, 2004

i saw a crowd, a host of finished objects

I give to you...the long awaited Zillah!
And now for a long, fuzzy shot of me wearing it, taken with my camera when I thought the timer was on and it turns out it wasn't, hence the look of shock and wonderment, and my double jointed elbows:
And for a closeup of my perfect Floozy stitch, so good you can't tell where the ribbing ends and the Floozy begins (except at the very top where you can see the red and green meet):
So. Now is where I begin my diatribe. Everyone has been going on and on ad nauseum about how much they lurve Silk Garden. Well, let me take a few moments to go off on Silk.

Here in Georgia we have a phenomenon called trash trees. They are these junk trees at the side of the road which might bloom bright colors in the spring but you would never want to willfully plant them in your yard. Silk Garden has something I like to call "trash yarn." It has, liberally sprinkled throughout it, brightly colored gobs of unspun roving which do not blend into what is being knit at the moment. I had to constantly cut out these globs and reattach my yarn. Don't believe me? Here are some pictures, with circles and arrows (and a paragraph on the back of each one) showing where trash yarn apprears, along with one where I put the offending piece of trash yarn right where it tried to show up in the knitting.
I also signed up for Larissa's Massive Meathead Knitup. I knit the entire hat in my carpool yesterday. Here it is not sewn up. You can see pictures of it sewn up over at Larissa's place, so I'll spare you that.
Now, I've spared everyone cutesy pictures of Beans, because Beans is most definitely Not Cute. He is a Brat. As part of his brattiness, yesterday he decided that the Meathead was tasty and yummy in its wooliness and rovingness and was His, and decided to lick it all over. I give you a picture of Beans when I was having a staring contest with him, trying to take the Meathead away from him.
Finally, a Finished Object from the Nature Cotton Along.
Design was my own, color was celery. I love the Araucania Nature Cotton and the way it feels! Look at the way the color looks close up:
Now that that's done, you won't be seeing any finished objects until I'm done with the pesky gloves. On the plus side, I captured about five Esther Williams movies on the ReplayTV the other night, for some long term glove knitting goodness.

2 Comments:

Blogger Amie said...

Yeah, they call them "silk noils" when they want you to think it's exotic, but really, it ticks me off too for the most part. At least they don't make you knit it while holding Y and W and standing on your head doing the hokey pokey...

(we're still newlyweds, 8 months today - I have no delusions that my husband will become increasingly less tolerant of my computer illiteracy in the future...)

12:28 PM  
Blogger jillz said...

Zillah looks great! I love how use selectively used the Silk Garden. There's too much varieagated going on right now! I predict there will be a backlash against self striping yarns in the knit blogging world soon!

5:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home