Monday, December 19, 2005

all in all you're just another brick in the wall

I need some advice, here, from you, my fellow knitters.

So I was at a friend's band's show the other night and we were watching the hippy "granola goth" band before hers play, and whilst the belly dancers grooved she said, "Hey, you should take out your knitting, it fits the theme" and while I had intended on finishing my beer first, I thought well, why not just multitask? So I gingerly held my beer in the crook of my elbow and knit on my socks that no way in hell I'll get done in time for Crazy Lady but I'm enjoying making them (Artyarns Supermerino worsted weight from Stitch DC, pattern my own as most patterns I make are nowadays, at least adapted) and I managed to spill beer on the socks only once, during the shock of when granola goth band turned on a dime and broke into Floyd and rocked out (poorly), and then my friend asked me to knit during her set which I was planning on doing anyway and she wanted me to knit in time to her beat which I did (or in some places, double time) and during it I stole some chick's clove cigarette and later was somewhere else highly smoky and now my sock smells like cloves, Camels, Newports, and beer.

So, is there any way to make it not smell like this without having to get off my lazy ass and wash it? Do I leave it outside in the cold Georgia mountain air overnight and see what becomes of it?

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dryer cycle with a dryer sheet if on hand.

Spike car antenna through it or roll up window pinching it dangling outside car and go for ride. To a bar.

1:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a recovering goth (and, therefore, recovering clove smoker), I hate to break it to you, but nothing short of a good washing is going to get the smell of clove cigarettes out of wool...and even that might not do it. It's been years, but I still have articles of clothing that reek of teenage angst (because really, that's what cloves smell like to me).

I wish you all the luck in the world with other methods, though. If you figure something out, let me know! I've got a velvet coat I'd love to wear without smelling like a goth club.

5:35 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Um, you know Crazy Lady is not going to like a smelly sock :-)
I'd wash it or spray the hell out of it with some Fabreeze. I love ya - good luck!

8:49 PM  
Blogger Mel said...

A gentle soak in Eucalan, then air dry. Then, once it's dry, if any stink remains, let it sit in a zip-lock bag with a handful of teabags for a few days.

I bought a feather mask for a ball once that just reeked of insecticide (which I discovered too late). A week in a zip-lock bag with a half dozen tea bags (regular, cheap tea) totally did the trick.

8:41 AM  
Blogger jenifleur said...

let it sit in a bath of baking soda enhanced cat litter for a day. that would be clean litter. if it can take out alpaca funk, it can take out anything. I'm a believer.

10:24 AM  
Blogger Zardra said...

I second the vote for Febreeze... the allergy version did a good job of getting rid of a moldy smell a wool sweater of mine acquired at a friend's house.

2:42 PM  
Blogger Cheryl:) said...

cat litter...
put it in a bowl and dump cat litter on it...

10:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home