Wednesday, December 14, 2005

christmas bells are ringing christmas bells are ringing on tv at saks

Tonight's diatribe steals content from three other blogs. I hope the blog owners don't mind. If they do, well, huh. I'm not really sorry, but contact me privately and we'll discuss it.

I don't think it's any secret that I'm Jewish. I'm hardly in-your-face about it. My father was an agnostic, part athiest. I was brought up celebrating the Pagan holidays of Christmas and Easter. However, I identify as Jewish, and that's what and who I am.

But you know, I really fucking hate ignorant people, and I really hate Christians who try to rub my nose in their preachy Christianity.

I read someone's knitting blog last week (can't remember who, wish I could) who was very Christian. (I think this is why I don't remember her.) She went on and on about how she didn't have a problem if someone put up a menorah so why should a Jewish person have a problem with a nativity scene in a public square? They could choose to ignore it because they didn't celebrate it.

Kristine was talking about not being in a holiday spirit because of a variety of things that had happened recently and someone posted the comment that she should feel lucky that her husband had not died.

I don't even know what that means, frankly, but I find the comment to be rather over-the-top and mean.

Then, after Rabbitch's brilliant post on putting the ass back in xmas (henceforth referred to as "xmass"), someone commented something about it being a federally declared holiday (as opposed to the other eleven federally declared holidays? As a federal government contractor, I can assure you that xmass is the only one that is a religious holiday. Or was this your point? I don't get it.) and then said the following:

"if you don't wanna celebrate it ...don't...."

Here's something I've been wanting to explain for some time, to people such as the blog owner of blog #1, who may never read this post but fuck it, maybe someone will.

Once a year, I am made to feel as though, no, I am reminded of the fact that I am a minority, that I am not a party of this society that everyone else belongs to. I sort of play along and buy very close friends gifts and I'm married to someone with a big family so that changes things but this feeling of not belonging doesn't happen on the one day of the year. It happens during all of the days leading up to That Day. This year, the festivities appeared to begin before Halloween, as least in Atlanta. So, for two months I will have been reminded that a bunch of Christians and other assorted Gentiles are part of a collective group of fun and some weird "It's a Wonderful Life" moments that I will never belong to.

When you can honestly claim that you have something similar in your life, we'll talk again.

One more comment excerpted from this one woman who commented on Rabbitch's post:

"no ones pointed out that most of the retail outlets are owned by jewish businessmen anyway"

WOW.

FUCKING WOW.


I am speechless.

7 Comments:

Blogger Jean said...

Ugh - ignorant people just need to shut the fuck up.

Preach it, sister. I've felt like the outsider for the past 10 years. I'm trying to take back this time of year and make it my own.

10:59 AM  
Blogger Colette said...

Stupid people really should not breed. I usually go around this time of year explaining that this is actually a pagen holiday - the birth of mithras and the winter solstice - and that if jesus was actually born it wasn't in December, but the spring sometime and that I wish the christians would stop co-opting our holidays - thats when I get the you're gonna burn in hell looks.

Have a Happy Yule!

3:40 PM  
Blogger Zardra said...

This time of year usually just services to make me more pissy towards people. And now with this stupid War on Christmas... I just want to hit some people...

4:52 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

I love it & I totally agree with you! I've been trying to explain this to people, but it seems to be over their heads up here. Seem to be surrounded by fundies.

6:28 PM  
Blogger Zardra said...

Serves... not services. Wow, where was my mind yesterday?

3:47 PM  
Blogger Moze said...

Sing it sister. Holy god, what a combo--total disregard for other people's feelings with a small steeping of Protocols of the Elders of Zion.

No wonder I left America.

3:23 PM  
Blogger Ginger said...

Try explaining to a 5yo, who is excited about hanukkah and tells everyone so, why they keep looking at her strangely. I hate this time of year.

9:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home