Friday, April 14, 2006

i got to somewhere renowned for its canals and color of red

Norah, who commented on my blog as recently as three days ago, had a birthday yesterday, but I couldn't link to her because her blog seems to have disappeared. Where'd you go, Norah?

Ann commented the other day that she wouldn't wait to see if I talk to the pads next. I whipped up this little ditty for her.

Dear Stayfree,

Thanks (I think) for the support over the years, but our relationship is at an end.

I switched to you from Always a long time ago, because you don't reek as badly when I'm on the rag (and due to extreme pain, I often can't wear Tampax).

That said, what the fuckety fuck is up with your "wings"? They're really more like "tabs that don't stay in place overnight so when you wake up at 4 am you realized you just got blood all over the sheets" instead of "wings." I ruin more underwear (which I only wear when I have to use you, anyway, because otherwise I'm commando) by using you. Also, your "overnight" length about half covers my size 16/18 twat. I find myself using two pads and overlapping them in the middle to give me extra coverage. Then, I end up bleeding right at the join, so to speak, so hey! It gets all over my underwear and sheets anyway!

I'm switching to Depends (the pad size, not the full diaper size) from now on. I find they stay in place and I don't have to change them every hour.

11 Comments:

Blogger Mel said...

TMI time (but you started it)...

I could have written the same letter to Always, or any product I've ever tried. I had a friend that used newborn diapers, and I've considered that more than once.

I switched to cloth about 3 periods ago and am never going back! I'm still working out the fit (I'm a few sizes bigger than you), but I am SO comfortable! Plus, without all that bleached plastic chemical stuff.

I also took a baby blanket I'd started on but didn't finish (just zigzagged the edges) and sleep on it on the worst nights as an extra precaution.

You can alway try taking a hand towel and folding it in thirds the long way for the worst night, maybe pinning it in place? Most people that do that say the pins aren't necessary. Once you get past the laundry aspect, it's great to be able to customize.

9:42 AM  
Blogger Rabbitch said...

Thank you both for sharing.

*g*

10:06 AM  
Blogger Melissa said...

*runs screaming*

11:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The worst is when the pad does that magic twist and the sticky side glues itself to your pubes. Now that's pain.

12:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used Always until 4 months ago, until their 'dry-weave' sheet which actually kept one dry because a different weave, so, instead of all nice and dry-weave, it's like they put some Saran Wrap in there. Then, they made their maxi thinner in the middle. I'm sorry, but the thinnest pre-teen in the world still has x ounces of fluid that come out, and the thinner you make the goddamn pad, the more it bleeds all over your pants while you're sitting in class and it gets embarassing to get up once an hour and check. So, wetter, and now thinner. What the hell woman ever worries about how WIDE the thing is? And I'm a goddamn size 6 so if I have this problem, everyone else in the world also has this problem. Stayfree sucks, Kotex also sucks. I had a good thing going for 10 years, now it's gone. I still stand there baffled in the store for 4 minutes figuring out what I'm going to do THAT month.

12:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hee hee...I needed that laugh! I had exactly the same issues...before I went on the Pill, got rid of the pain and the heavy flow. Not to mention the sticky-part-of-the-pad on the pubes thing.

Tampax all the way!

2:26 PM  
Blogger Cheryl:) said...

They sell these cup things that just catch it all....

4:22 PM  
Blogger jenifleur said...

Personally, I vote for the poke a couple leg holes in a hefty cinch sack approach. Take a couple fifths for the cramps and light every man you can see on fire with a flame thrower and you've pretty much covered my program. Five days later it's alllll better.

7:35 PM  
Blogger Ann said...

I told you this was post worthy news for international attention! Look at the incredibly creative responses you received? I vote for the hefty cinch sack option!

Ann

9:38 PM  
Blogger Cyndilou :) said...

Being an 18/20 myself, I can completely sympathize. I find that the Always Ultra Thins in the 14+ size (ever so slightly bigger than the Overnights, but in all the right ways) are perfect -- no bulk, and no leak. Never thought of trying Depends. Totally with you on the reek, though. Oh and those cup things? I can't get past the icky shudders to actually try one. Man, they sound nasty.

10:47 PM  
Blogger Norah said...

Hey, thanks for the birthday wish! I got pissed off and deleted my blog, so that's why you couldn't find it.

Man, I thought I was the only person in the world who had to use 2 pads overlapped! I had been getting mine at a little mom & pop store across from where I lived, and I used to think the woman there would wonder why I bought so many pads. I've been using StayFree Super Long the last couple months though, and they're working better. Damn, I thought by the time I got to be the age I am now I wouldn't have to worry about this period shit anymore.....

5:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home