Sunday, April 09, 2006

clench your fist and shout at them all it's just a lost cause

Did I mention in my drunken ramblings of yesterday that I'm really proud of my crocheted scarf? 'Cuz I am. It smells like smoke because of the, ah, pubbish atmosphere I was in. But I have it by the window and it was cold last night and it barely smells anymore.

I've been feeling rather antisocial of late. Those of you who have managed to drag me out of my hiding place in the last few weeks, and you know who you are, Melissa, Trixie and Jess, should pat yourselves on the backs, because you made me leave my cave.

There's a knitter meetup hosted by Lolly today at the Mall. I'm in DC. Hey, I have to work today anyway, so it's a perfect opportunity for me to trek downtown, go into the office and work, and go across the street and meetup with other knitters, right?

Yeah. I don't feel up to it. I'd have to be social and sociable and polite and not say "cocksucking intarsia" because it might piss off people and I'm really rather shy. I have to work, and I have to study for my upcoming exam that I haven't even begun thinking about studying for for which I should brush up on some of the essentials, just as a reminder (and I had one of those anxiety dreams the other night, where it was the day of the exam and I didn't know where it was and I overslept and missed it anyway).

So here's the deal.

I will have literally *just* taken the two day exam (really, five parts in two days) on the Thursday and Friday before the Maryland Sheep and Wool Orgy. I know what you're thinking. Here's an ideal opportunity to relax! But, you know. I'm antisocial. I'm whiny. I'm annoying. If I went I'd spend money. I don't want to spend money.

Last year I had a great time hanging with Beth and Colette and Lolly and a host of others. On the other hand, I felt that some of the Great! Blogger! Meetups! ended up being cliquey, which is true in the blogging world in general , so I really shouldn't be surprised. But I tend to be an outsider which makes me, you know, even shyer.

This isn't a beg for all y'all to tell me why I should go! But an explanation to those who might have thought I would be going. I'm...undecided at this point. Please don't be surprised if I don't go. The Georgia Knitbloggers contingency will do just fine without me. (You won't even miss me, frankly.)

Or, maybe it's just my hungover state and the fact that I've been up since 4:30 AM that's talking.

7 Comments:

Blogger Mouse said...

I like you and would miss you at MSW as well.. but you knew that already. I'm broke too and can't afford this trip which is why I'm collecting the house change to go. I do understand being anti-social.. I am swinging between being excited to go and being terrified of being around all those people.

2:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Being poor and over half-a-continent away, there's no way I'm going. I'm trying to be content with the Estes Park Wool Market, and Taos in October, but I'd still like to go to one of the East coast festivals. All the cool knitting stuff happens on the East coast. *pout*

3:00 PM  
Blogger Rabbitch said...

I would pop in, however I think it's going to have to be next year, seeing I'm working three jobs this week (no, I wasn't thinking, shut up) and oh, moving house on Thursday ...

I think you should go, though.

8:51 PM  
Blogger Ann said...

My dear..you most definitely need to go....

Sometimes escaping reality with pointy sticks in hand can be wonderful. I want to see pictures and a few drunk postings!

:o)

Ann

10:31 PM  
Blogger Norah said...

You really should go, and I'm speaking as someone who is very antisocial or socially anxious too. It sounds like people really miss you and you will have people who like you and you like to hang around with.

(Now if I could just take my own advice and start going to my local knitting group again.)

8:23 AM  
Blogger Zardra said...

Sorry, I'm not going to Maryland. :(

But if I were, I'd hang out with you and we could be cliquey together.

4:16 PM  
Blogger Colette said...

I had a fun time hanging with you and Beth last year too. I actually have some money so I am planning on going again this year, although I still haven't used all the yarn I bought last year.

I hope you decide to go, though I understand your reasons for not going.

6:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home