Monday, March 27, 2006

dark in the city night is a wire steam in the subway earth is a fire

I met a friend for dinner on Saturday night, and there we were, merrily eating our Persian food, and I narrated the odd doings behind her, that the owner came out and lit a candle on this shrine-y altar thing, and then 10 minutes later lit another, and so on, until six candles were lit, and then not two minutes later, I told her to turn around NOW because one of the candles had set fire to the plastic floral arrangement next to it and WHOOSH! the restaurant was up in flame in one corner and the waiters stood around looking until duh, they figured out they could throw water on the flames and the fire went out, leaving only a mild char stain on the wall and ceiling and a burnt melted plastic floral arrangement and a godawful stench in the restaurant, luckily we were on our third cups of Turkish coffee each, and were about to leave. Here's the cite of the burning altar:
I met Melissa on Saturday afternoon and nobody else showed up but that's okay, we had fun and shopped for office supplies and knit.

Elisa asked: With your pattern, can you get a pair of socks out of two skeins, or do you need three? I've got size 10 feet myself, and have a pattern that uses just two skeins, but I'd like a pattern with a tighter gauge, I think.

I can get a pair of socks out of two skanks of Supermerino. The handpainted stripes is a different story, because each skank has 188 yards, not 108 (or whatever the number is) on the regular skanks. But I made these socks from two skanks, and I have a handful leftover. I did them on size 6 needles, not perhaps the tightest knit in the world, but I could have done them on size 5, which is what I did the striped ones on, and still had enough yarn. You won't get knee socks out of them, though.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my...catching the restuarant on fire. That can't be good.

1:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do like the idea of everyone kind of standing around wondering what they should do, though...

There was a fire in a garbage can near one of the entrances to my work, and while I waited for someone with a fire extinguisher to show up, I was amazed at how many people just kind of stood around or just walked right by like there was no fire coming out of a garbage can at 8am...

Thanks for the info on your supermerino socks, too!

3:34 PM  
Blogger jodi said...

do do do, do do do, do do do, do do do do DOO DOO. Gack.

I did something like that in my kitchen the other day. Only there wasn't any plastic.

6:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home