Friday, March 24, 2006

and i feel like a beetle on its back and there's no way for me to get up

Jane is having a moving sale, check it out, y'all. Help her destash so she has more room for stash in her new house.

So here are the socks I finished
Artyarns Supermerino, my sock yarn of choice, my own pattern, but I think it was 44 stitches on size 5 needles, made for my giant ass size 11 feet. Afterthought heel. I'm in a sock rut. But I wanted to start the socks from the STR Club, and dude, the instructions are written for "medium" or "large," with no fucking definitions of what "medium" and "large" means. I'm making them for someone who is a size 8. Is that medium? If I were to make them for myself, would I be a large? Usually I'm deemed an extra large. Will they fit me? Why are the instructions so fuzzy? I'm gonna write to them and ask.

6 Comments:

Blogger Jane said...

I wear a size 8 and I'm pretty sure that's usually considered a medium. I think medium also encompasses a size 9, so a large might be 10 to 11. But I'm sure they will give you a more definitive answer. And thanks for the shout-out about my yarn sale. I'm sure even more will be unearthed in the not to distant future!

12:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those socks are really cute - I love the colors.

I've always found that sock pattern sizes leave a lot to be desired. "Fits average woman's foot"? What does that mean? Isn't the average size something like a 6? My feet are size 9.5...what do I need to do to get the socks to fit me? Grr....

12:22 PM  
Blogger Trixie said...

This is a really love color pattern. I like the aqua-ish color with the darker stripe. Is it a navy or black stripe?

12:37 PM  
Blogger Mouse said...

Love the socks.. those are very cool. I've often wondered the same thing about "fits average womans feet" since I just got the 'Socks,Socks, Socks' book and most of the patterns say that. I also figure you have to take into account what year the patterns were written because the "average size" of people definitely changes with time/era.

1:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Artyarns best for socks, and you did a great job of matching up the stripes. With your pattern, can you get a pair of socks out of two skeins, or do you need three? I've got size 10 feet myself, and have a pattern that uses just two skeins, but I'd like a pattern with a tighter gauge, I think.

8:55 AM  
Blogger dragon knitter said...

if i recall rightly, at walmart in the flipflop section (i wear birkies, but my daughter is addicted to cheap flipflops) a 9-10 is a large. an 11-12 is an extra large. i suppose that makes a 7-8 a medium. did any of that make sense? and btw, nice socks

10:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home