Sunday, November 19, 2006

buß und reu knirscht das sündenherz entzwei

So, okay, I'll admit to being a classical music listener. Not in the "I want to be pretentious and look all intellectual" bullshit, but in the "I enjoy this music and like to listen to it." I can recognize artists and musical periods and can definitively say things like, "I fucking hate Mozart because his music is obnoxious and annoying to listen to" and "my favorite composer is Johann Sebastian Bach" and "my favorite piece of music in the ENTIRE WORLD is Beethoven's 7th Symphony, 2nd movement."

And maybe all y'all don't give a flying fig about all that, but I feel like I can get opinions from you on this one topic nonetheless.

Does anyone else think it's weird that a classical music album was hailed by Robert Plant of Led Zeppelin as one of his top ten favorite works of classical music, and that this endorsement is the central piece in the advertising and marketing of said album?

7 Comments:

Blogger dragon knitter said...

yes it's weird.

no it's not stupid. robert plant is a well known musician of a well known group. it makes sense to have him advertise it, people (oddly enough) trust famous people not to steer them wrong.

8:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I AM A BOHEMIAN
I am a Classical Composer

I am a Philosopher, a Visionary
an Independent Spirit and a Free Thinker
I am not Bound by Convention and
am Unconcerned by the Trends of Fashion
I Follow My Own Creative Star
I Believe in Beauty and the Power of Nature
I Believe in Freedom, Truth and Love
I Have the Call of the Wild in my Spirit
I am a Bohemian"

You are a Douche.

1:35 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

I have to actively censor myself at times so as not to fall into the pretentious intellectual category. Of course, that could have more to do with how people think I should act (classical music, theater and Asian art isn't "acting black" enough for some people). Mebbe a bit less NPR in the evenings?

You, me and J. Christopher before the end of the year? Say yes or I'll randomly show up at your house and steal some of your knitting books.

2:00 PM  
Blogger Big Alice said...

Uh, maybe because this music's done by a "contemporary artist" so having a "contemporary" rocker recommend it is enough for some people to, um, try listening to it?
Or maybe not. Seems bizarre to me but the idea of Paris Hilton being used to sell anything made my brain hurt and if that was successful.... I Am Not Marketing Droid.

That web page makes me laugh out loud. I could maybe, *maybe* believe he was earnest and shit and forgive it, until I saw the little rotating/animated Pictures of Me animation. HAHAHAHAHAHA

2:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bach has always been my favorite composer, followed (rather distantly) by Handel. Something about Baroque music "really pumps my nads"

Anyhow, my fave piece is Bach's Cello Concerto...ever since they used it in Master and Commander. Hell, it's even my cell phone ring tone.

Oh and anonymous....eat my shorts.

3:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, oops! I thought Anonymous was calling YOU a douche....not the author of that web page.

Nevermind on that last part of my former comment

3:13 PM  
Blogger Zardra said...

I have to admit to being a fan of Mozart, particularly his requiem. We sang it my senior year of high school and I feel in love with it. I' really like Beethoven and Vivaldi. And for some reason I hate... really hate... Rachmaninov. I don't know why.

As for that website, dude, those rotating pictures give him such coolness cred. HA!

6:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home