Wednesday, September 10, 2008

but my dreams they aren't as empty as my conscience seems to be

The thing is, I usually scoff at the "The End is Near!" people, and I really dig CERN, but the whole Large Haldron Collider thing? I'm not so sure about. I like that The Times headlines states "Large Haldron Collider will not turn world to goo", but the fact that such a headline had to be published? It makes me twinge, just a little bit. This thinking used to make my soon-to-be-ex-The-Man-Who-Lives-in-the-House and me bicker a little bit. I was "crazy" and the scientific achievment was "awesome."

But why, exactly, did I need to be reassured about the world not turning into "goo," again?

This makes me want to do mad sorts of things, like, oh, knit something, really fast. I haven't actually finished a sweater in, oh, say, uh...(checking Ravelry projects page)...oh, the Somewhat Cowl in April. So that wasn't so long ago. But that's a tinge too big for me now. And short sleeved. Is it really a "sweater"? Everything else got to an almost finished stage before I lost weight or I couldn't graft or the yarn bloomed like no tomorrow or my gay boyfriend broke up with me or some combination therein. So, on Sunday, while waiting for Amber at Urgent Care (she's okay, she was rear-ended coming to meet me for pancakes, it was a classic case of whiplash), I did a gauge swatch for a cardigan in Manos, which I ripped out and restarted as a sleeve, and now both sleeves are done already.

Which doesn't mean I'll actually finish the sweater, of course, before I lose more weight. Or the world turns to goo.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If it makes you feel any better, I'm a little aprehensive about the upcoming proton collision but I'm trying to have faith in the theory people saying the world isn't going to be swallowed in a black hole. On a compete other note, it looks like I will be coming to DC at the end of the month to work at GW. Let me know if you want to get together while I'm there.

12:27 PM  
Blogger Janice in GA said...

I just try to be philosphical about it all. sure, it would suck to be turned into goo or to have a black hole slowly consume the earth (Greg Bear and "The Forge of God", I'm looking atchoo) would suck, but we're all going to die anyway.

Sooner or later. So stay busy while you can.

I think about death a lot thes days. No, I'm not depressed, just still dealing with watching my dad die.

6:04 PM  
Blogger Zardra said...

Ever since I saw 28 days, I've worried that the human race would be doomed by someone's folly. This whole LHC thing has not been helping that apprehension... not one bit.

5:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home