Saturday, May 24, 2008

you think we look pretty good together you think my shoes are made of leather

So I'm making Labyrinth (Ravelry link), the long-sleeved version, with this really nice new Tilli Tomas yarn, Silky Merino, that I got at Maryland Sheep and Wool.
Only when not jess and I were picking it out, we couldn't find a contrast yarn that worked, so I got all one color, and thought, huh, I'll make it on a solid eggplant.

And then I thought, huh, I kinda am not totally into the balloons at the end of the sleeves. I mean, balloons? So I figure, maybe instead, a slight bell sleeve instead. And now I'm thinking, should I do the chevron stitches at all?

When I was telling Amber about this plan, her thought was that I have just changed the pattern significantly enough that I shouldn't link my work to Labyrinth in Ravelry. Her point is that when people look at the finished products of Labyrinth, mine would be so significantly changed that they would get a different product, so it's kind of a waste of space. Plus, since it's a top-down raglan, I could figure out the math based on my gauge swatch and really make my own sweater in that style anyway, so I don't need to link it to Labyrinth.

On the other hand, my thought is that I am not doing all of the math on my own - Wendy Bernard did it all for me. And I believe that the changes I'm making are pretty minor. Plus, I don't believe that I'm making enough changes that are altering the work significantly enough that I could, say, sell the work as my own (as per current copyright laws/interpretations/touchy discussions). Since I could not do so, the pattern is still enough of the essence of Labyrinth as to be Labyrinth. Also, I personally actually do enjoy seeing modifications in Ravelry.

So. Those are the two sides. What do you think?

10 Comments:

Blogger Janice in GA said...

I've seen a good many projects on Ravelry that I'd consider interpretations of a pattern, rather than the pattern itself. I don't think that's a bad thing at all!

I do like it when people kinda note the changes they made, like narrowing the ends of the sleeves so they're not so bell-like though.

10:13 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

I think I'm bummed that I didn't get to meet you at MSWF!

11:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have some stuff that i have listed in ravelry as 'personal pattern' that i'd never dream of selling a pattern for because it is too close to what someone else has published. But my point was really that i think there are elements to patterns that are the key to it being that pattern.

Tangled Yoke is just a circular yoke if you don't include the cables.

Tomato is just a square neck raglan if you take off the stranding.

Simple knit bodice is just a v-neck raglan if you take out the lace.

I recall if you add a project not from queue there were options like "I significantly modified a published pattern" ... I wonder how that links up.

12:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I say link it, and explain the changes you made (in general terms) in the notes. I think that being able to see people's interpretations of patterns is one of the best things about Ravelry.

1:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love animals!! I always wear shoes made of alternative leather and materials. That’s why I always shopping at Simple Shoes.

1:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would like Labyrinth and the honey wearing Labyrinth in those photos.

4:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The neckline and the bust and waistline shaping are distinctive elements. If all you changed was the sleeve ends and the presence of the zigzag decoration, I'd say it's a variation of the published pattern.

11:23 PM  
Blogger Trixie said...

I like the pattern as it is with the contrast and the bell sleeve but you are correct in saying that not everyone is a bell sleeve person. I am not. It looks good but I would fuss with it all day long. I am very interested to see the finish product with you as the model. I think the color will be amazing against your skin tone and hair. Of course with the weather being 90+ outside..there's no rush to finish the sweater!

9:54 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I mean, balloons? So I figure, maybe instead, a slight bell sleeve instead

10:06 AM  
Blogger lemontree said...

I really like it when people post their modifications under the original pattern. That way I can get ideas for how I might want to modify it.

I agree with you that changing the sleeve ends isn't that major. I think the pattern author would also like to see the changes you made.

11:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home