Monday, November 14, 2005

so if you meet me have some courtesy have some sympathy and some taste

Yesterday, after eating brunch at my favorite vegan restaurant in DC (tofu scramble with soy mozzarella and Soysage, waffle fries, coffee with soy cream, and no, I am a happy carnivore, but good vegan food is better than bad meat any day), I wandered over to Stitch DC to check out the yarn and knit.

I had begun a sock for The Queen of Enablers (The Man Who Lives in the House's mother) on the plane trip, and I was quite enjoying the rosewood Lantern Moon needles I bought at Dunwoody Yarn. The flight attendant was grooving on my sock and had just learned to knit herself, so she was interested in the mechanics of knitting on five needles and how rosewood felt.

So I walked around DC knitting and rode the Metro over to Eastern Market to go to Stitch DC, where Trixie and I went after my really bad job interview in January and I bought cashmere and she bought cashmere for her scarf and I got the lace mohair with which Jasper had a ball, and yesterday I met the owner Marie and the wonderful Karida, and they said I could loiter there, so I whipped out my sock and started working on it some more, and I picked up the book Alterknits and began flipping through it and I ran across the pattern for these so I had to drop what I was doing to start on them right away and now that I am mostly done with the first one and it's looking good I now, in writing this post just now and putting up that link, found the errata for the pattern. Fuck. Do I rip it out? Do I move on?
This is, I believe, the first time I have worked with Manos.
I am in love.

I also am in love with the Pony rosewoods I'm using on this (and, you'll notice, as my gusset holder) and with the Lantern Moon size 8 DPNs Marie sold me out of pity because I was desperate and she's soooooo nice.

5 Comments:

Blogger Mel said...

Oh! I LOVE Manos! I'm a recent convert myself (made mittens and a hat for my dad), and loved every second I worked with it.

Thanks for reminding me to look at the errata for that book! I keep forgetting that such things exist and start projects without checking.

8:43 AM  
Blogger Colette said...

Love those - and yes manos is most lovely. That book is on my wishlist so hopefully David will pick it up for me, or I will be buying myself more after yule gifts again this year.

Did you ever use that ribbon yarn you picked up in MD - I was thinking about it last night while trying to organize my stash.

10:13 AM  
Blogger Rebecca Mongrain said...

I'm currently obsessed with that pattern! It is so easily and makes such a beautiful and useful mitten. I found the suggested yarn at "Packing Specialties", a packing and stationary store.

12:00 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Manos is...overrated. The stuff from handpaintedyarn.com is just a fabulous for way cheaper ;-P

Oh, and I'd lend you my copy of Melville's Knit, but for some reason my non-knitting sister in Montana has it. She is moving, so I'm hoping she remembered to set that and my other knitting books aside when the movers were there last week. If it ever returns to me, you're still welcome to use it. Oh, and Color really was a load of crap. Flipped through it at B&N and took it off my amazon list as soon as I got home.

um...and I don't know why you can't comment on my site. people have been saying that to me, but i can't figure out a problem.

1:53 PM  
Blogger Trixie said...

I love Stitch DC! You were in my neighborhood. *sigh*

I can't wait to get there on Sunday and to see my city again. I miss her.

5:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home