Monday, December 26, 2005

salagadoola mechicka boola bibbidi-bobbidi-boo

Fiber Godmother Questionnaire

General Fiber Questions:
What are your fiber-related hobbies? (Knit, Crochet, Spinning, Needlepoint, etc.) -
Knitting, some crochet, needlepoint and cross-stitch, embroidery on occasion, weaving sometimes, and quilting.

How long? - 25 years since I've been knitting. Longer for crochet and needlepoint and weaving. (For the record, I'm 31 years old.)

Which are you *most* into? - Knitting.

How would you classify yourself in this craft - beginner, intermediate, advanced? - I always tend to undervalue myself. Maybe "advanced intermediate" or "beginning advanced"?

What is your current fiber-related obsession? - Not sure I understand this question. I like yarn. I'm obsessed with yarn.

What are your favorite items to make? - Ummm, anything, really. I knit it all. I do detest intarsia, unless it's cute enough to make it worth my time. I like sweaters because they're wearable, and shawls because I'm always cold, and I am designing a slew of gloves, and socks are very portable and I travel quite a bit.

What are you making right now? - A sweater, design my own, stuck on the sewing up for five years. A mess of gloves, most of which have fifteen minutes left of work in them. I started the fingerless mitts from Weekend Knitting this afternoon and I should be done with them in an hour or so. Socks for my mother for Hannukah. A couple of pillows for my mother-in-law. The sugarplum sweater from Handknit Holidays. A baby sweater in bright red cotton. Linen potpourri sachets. A purse out of Noro Daria. At least two other pairs of socks. Is that enough?

What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? - The Man Who Lives in the House and I restored two pinball machines a couple of years ago. I'm thinking of getting another of building a mame machine for 1980s videogames. I like to cook and especially bake, and nce was accepted into culinary school in the pastry program, but I decided to finish graduate school instead.

About the fiber:
Your favorite yarn(s) (brand or type)? -
Yarn is good. I like yarn.

What fibers do you absolutely *not* like? - Red Heart, Caron, Bernat, and muppet yarns. Scratchy acrylic makes my hands hurt. Guess that makes me a yarn snob.

Is there a yarn you've been dying to try? - Hemp?

Are you a fiber snob? - See above.

About the tools:
Hardwood, Bamboo, Aluminum, Plastic? -
I've become addicted to rosewood lately. I like bamboo, but not Addi Natura which is cheap feeling. I like Inox circular needles for their points.

For knitters: Straight, DPN or Circular needles? - Depends on the project. I tend to knit with circulars, but nice wooden needles for smaller projects can't be beat. Only DPNs for socks.

Favorite gadget? - My swift. I miss it greatly when I am in DC. My ball winder, which is missing the nut to make the clamp work.

Anything you've been wanting to try? - I want to try anything. However, I am too lazy to be bothered to hunt things down. Janice said she'd teach me to spin someday. I'm into that.

About you:
Do you pamper yourself? Or do you generally come last? -
I am shallow and materialistic. I come first. Except with my knitting, which I usually give away.

What does an ideal day off/free hour consist of for you? - Day off? What's that? I'm a workaholic. Usually I'll go to the movies or watch old movies, while knitting. I'm so boring.

Are you allergic to anything? - Dust and box elder trees. Seriously.

What is your family situation? (Partner, spouse, kids, etc.) - Almost at my five year wedding anniversary with The Man Who Lives in the House.

Are you owned by any pets? - An eight year old cat named Jack. We call him Beans. He steals canned food when our backs are turned.

Your favorite color(s)? - Jewel tones, like purple, green, orange, lime. red.

Any colors you just can't stand? - Pastels, navy blue.

What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.) - Lavendar, vanilla, basil.

Least favorite? (Maybe you're not "allergic," but it makes you want to die) - Rose. Yuck.

How do you feel about candy? - I feel very fondly about candy. Especially butterscotch or anything coffee flavored.

Any dietary restrictions? - No, but I don't eat chicken, and cooked bell peppers make me sick.

Is there anything that you collect? - Tacky snowglobes.

What is your favorite holiday? - Halloween.

Do you have an online wish list (e.g. Amazon, Things I Want)? If so, share the link. If nothing else, it will give your Godmother more ideas about your likes/dislikes. - Yes, but it's outdated right now due to Hannukah, so it won't do anyone any good.

Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? - Of course, it's a Mac.

What kind of music do you like? - Old school punk, new wave, jazz, blues, Baroque classical.

Any special requests in case your Godmother wants to make a CD for you? - Nah, I listen to anything, pretty much (except Christian, for obvious reasons). I'm eclectic (and a singer).

Favorite movie(s)? - Singin' in the Rain, An American in Paris, Meet Me in St. Louis, Pandora's Box, Steamboat Bill Jr., The Sheik.

Any "fan" stuff? (e.g. Firefly, Wonder Woman, etc.) - Only for vampy silent movie stars (Louise Brooks, Clara Bow, Theda Bara, Claudette Colbert) and swashbuckling ones (Douglas Fairbanks, Rudolph Valentino).

2 Comments:

Blogger dragon knitter said...

errol flynn! yeah baby!

11:25 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Hope you have a good godmother on this. I'm currently disillusioned with the whole secret pal thing. While I adore the person I've sent gifties to, I'm feeling a bit burned on the receiving end ;-P

11:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home