Monday, April 24, 2006

stop wasting your time there's nothing coming only a fool would think someone could save you

I just spent, oh, about eight hours studying different theories of management styles, like Theory X and Theory Y (and may I say, thank you, FSM, for giving us Wikipedia, because I know for damn sure I wouldn't have gotten a concise overview of what I was looking for from any other source, and yay! I got to edit my first Wikipedia entry! Although when I tell you, all y'all'll probably say I shouldn't have edited it; in the entry for Theory Z, which yes, does exist and yes, it's separate from Theories X and Y, someone had added - to paraphrase - "Much like [insert name here]'s management of nuts on the face." Mature. Yeah.) Given a huge list of management theories to study that includes but is not limited to Taylor, Drucker, Hawthorne experiments, Maslow, Herzberg, McGregor, Ouchi, Deming, Juran, Mayo, Gilbreth and Weber, in addition to concepts such as the "I wonder what it's all about, based on the name?" theory of "Management by Walking Around," I am now prepared to answer correctly about 5 of the 100 questions on one of the five exams I will be taking in less than two weeks. That's a whole 1%. Way to procrastinate.

Oh, and by the way.

What the fuck does any of the above have to do with records management? Because I haven't a fucking clue in Hell, and I've been a records manager for over ten years.

Just wait until I get to study the exciting field of reprographics management. (For the uninitiated, that's "copying machines." Yeah, it's a science. No, it doesn't have anything to do with records management, either.)

4 Comments:

Blogger Melissa said...

I'm procrastinating too. I have an exam on Saturday that I haven't even begun to start studying for...

9:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You'd be amazed how many people can't work a copier.

Wait. No you wouldn't.

3:05 PM  
Blogger Ann said...

Is it ok to admit this made me hot? "reprographics management" I can only hope that I am able to use that in a sentence in some meeting this week, and just smile like I have a clue what that is?

Those management styles can make anyone's head swim. I bet you are absorbing more than you realize---and I have some ocean front property in Ohio if you are interested.

You can do it...

:o)

Ann

10:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so glad I didn't take Records Management. Unfortunately, Organizational Management & Strategy was a required course. Hmmm, I probably shouldn't go around complaining like this until I have my degree firmly in hand. (I don't think I will be framing it.)

1:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home