Wednesday, September 06, 2006

no time for dancing or lovey dovey i ain't got time for that now

Don't get me wrong, I knit in public early and often. However.

I find it really obnoxious when people persist on asking me what I'm doing, what I'm making, how do I knit on so many pointy needles, what's that circular needle, etc., when I'm clearly WEARING MY FUCKING IPOD. I like to pretend I have no idea that they're talking to me and, because I keep my iPod on near blaring, I am not pretending that I can't hear them. I really can't hear them. And they insist on talking to me anyway. So when they get in my face and I turn off the iPod and answer their questions and then clearly TURN IT BACK ON and they keeping fucking TALKING to me, what am I supposed to do?

Sometimes, I just don't feel like talking about knitting. I just want to be in my own little zone, listening to The Clash and knitting away. Can't people figure out to leave me alone when I so clearly have my iPod on and it's so loud they can hear that the music is playing across the room?

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would pretend I don't speak English. Bonus points if you actually speak a foreign language.

I was once acosted by a crazy woman while I was knitting. She bent my ear for over an hour. Non-stop. I was young and less evil then.
Alternative Idea: Start counting. Out loud. They don't know that you're knitting something that doesn't require constant counting. If they keep talking, ask them to be quiet while you're counting.

12:44 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Argh - how frustrating! Obviously they don't know the etiqueette of pod world.

2:08 PM  
Blogger jenifleur said...

Dude. I feel your pain. Part of the reason I love my ipod is because it creates a feeling of BOUNDARIES between me and other people when in public.

Also, I hate hate HATE it when I'm knitting while talking with someone else and a third party comes up and *interrupts* our conversation to ask me if I'm needlepointing or some other equally assinine question. What the fuck is wrong with people?

I can't help but think that this is what happens when parents let children interrupt adults talking or always make the child feel like it is the star of the show, no matter what else is happening or give in to the child's every whim. They grow up to have no goddamned manners.

4:17 PM  
Blogger jenifleur said...

Wow, I didn't realize how strongly I felt.

4:18 PM  
Blogger Zardra said...

It's gotta be something about headphones, not the knitting. I swear the engineers I work with somehow sense from across the building when I put on my headphones to drown out the office noise in order to get work done; they don't bother me for days, then this is the moment they need an answer to a simple question. *gah*

4:20 PM  
Blogger Severina said...

I used to knit in public, but after one too many baby questions (gah!) I just gave it the hell up. So I lose something like an hour of very valuable knitting time waiting for and riding the bus every day.

Dammit, I hate people.

7:50 PM  
Blogger StarKnits said...

LOL you could always start singing along to your ipod when people start to talk with you. they may get scared or just get the point. LOL

9:25 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

People can be so damned annoying. I don't get as disgruntled when I'm knitting, but it seriously pissed me off if I while drawing in public. I only have a pile of equipment and am very obviously concentrating & people want me to hold up what I'm doing so they can see it. Bastards.

Even worse when they stand over your shoulder. Hell, I've had people try to touch my drawings. Makes me want to stab people with a pencil or spray fixative or adhesive in their faces.

(better not be a double post)

10:51 PM  
Blogger Ann said...

Sooooooooooooo..what are you knitting?

:o)

Running away really fast...

10:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home