Wednesday, June 27, 2007

it's a long lost cause i can never win for the civilized world accepts as unforgiveable sin any talking out loud with any librarian

So this week is the American Library Association's Annual Conference in DC and the only thing that comes to mind when I see the frumpy band of freaks parading around the streets is that I would never be a member of a club that would have me as a member (to paraphrase Groucho Marx).

Where the fuck do these people come from?

I work goddamned hard to break the stereotype of the librarian. Meanwhile, I am a damn good librarian. But it seems like everyone attending this conference is dressed like a, well, a. Sheesh. I hate to say it.

Like a librarian.

Do they all have to wear ankle length skirts? Sensible orthopaedic shoes? No makeup? Has any of them ever heard of moisturizer? A loofah? Hair color?

What happened to the Lipstick Librarian or all of the modified librarians?

WHERE ARE YOU?

7 Comments:

Blogger jodi said...

You should come to Canada. All the librarians here are freaking nutbars who like to get drunk and crazy. The rowdiest parties I've hosted have been the ones populated mostly by librarians.

8:25 AM  
Blogger J said...

Those of us like that are too smart to go to ALA!

Just kidding. But I have to wonder that as well. ACRL had some more interesting types, so maybe some of the stranger ones are hanging out in academia.

Although I have no problem with comfortable shoes, mine are generally fun. I am tatooed and not afraid to show it. I wear make-up and have been know to dye my hair.

I guess we need to start up the revolution again.

9:32 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

You know Marion would totally be wearing lipstick.

2:58 PM  
Blogger Eatsruns said...

We had the coolest ever librarian at my university. I don't know what she looked like, but there was always this board up in the library where students could write her letters, suggestions etc and she would write the wittiest replies.

3:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So nice that you're sounding like yourself.

4:41 PM  
Blogger Zardra said...

I wear comfy shoes, but I make sure they're not frumpy. And while I appreciate a well designed ankle length skirt, I much prefer to wear jeans. I will admit that I tend to wear my hair up in a bun, but that's because it doesn't like to do much.

5:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i avoid the convention center while i'm at ALA. usually attending meetings at posh hotels. yeah, there are some fashion victims among us, be they young or old, but guess there's not much to do about it unless you want to offer a session on the librarian's image and give pointers on how to dress. not likely that your target audience will attend, as they likely don't care so much for appearances.

2:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home