Wednesday, September 17, 2008

if you should ever find someone new i know he'd better be good to you cuz if he doesn't i'll be there

Yeah, I'm all yarn snobilicious, but I have a Secret Project of Shame, the likes of which is not being entered into Ravelry. (Amber has seen it. She can attest to its existence. I've actually done a LOT of work on it.)

The thing is, back a thousand years ago when I started knitting and crocheting, all I had was Yarn Brunswick Germantown (LOVED that yarn)... and Red Heart.

So while I no longer use those two yarns (DAMN YOU, Coats and Clark, for buying Yarn Brunswick and ceasing production of Germantown!), one of the two is the yarn in use in the Secret Project of Shame. The one still in production.

EXCEPT I'm making this for someone who will put this in the washer and dryer over and over again and will ruin anything else I make, even cotton and superwash merino.

I've been painted into the Red Heart corner.

2 Comments:

Blogger Big Alice said...

Heh. If you're being held hostage by the washing and drying habits of the future owner, I don't see that there's much you can do. I see no shame in that.

I'm sitting next to my big ol' zigzag afghan crocheted out of Wintuk no-dye-lot! acrylic, so I'm the last person to throw stones, even if I did make it before I found out about local yarn stores.

7:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Red Heart has its uses. No shame.
It washes beautifully and survives hard wear. It also is the only worsted weight yarn I know of that is still as thick as it was in the 1960s. The others look like fingering next to it.

4:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home