Tuesday, October 19, 2004

unendurable pain.

Last July, I got a stress fracture on my ankle while walking across a flat parking lot. I did not turn or mangle it in any manner, but it broke nonetheless. I was unable to wear a fabulous pair of Pradas I purchased in San Francisco for my birthday dinner because I was in an air cast for six weeks.

I was Not Pleased.

The pain of this fracture has never gone away. Never mind that it happened two days before my 29th birthday, and that stress fractures in and of themselves are not usual in someone so young. My doctors decided I was premenopausal. This would make sense because I have some doctors who think I haven't really become menstrual yet. Perhaps I have skipped an entire step of womanhood.

Nonetheless, the pain of my ankle became excrutiating last week, and my ever-present limp became noticeable for the first time to everyone else around me. Unfortunately, it also made the pain of a knee injury I got in 1996 while living in Ann Arbor, Michigan, unbearable. Said knee injury occurred while I was walking the two blocks from my apartment to a class while attending graduate school at The University of Michigan. I fell on the ice on the law school campus. A law professor watched me fall and laughed at me, and walked on, leaving me there.

So yesterday I visited my wonderful orthopaedic physician's assistant again, and today I began physical therapy on both my ankle and knee, and the weather is bad, so my shoulder, also on the right side of my body, on which I had surgery ten years ago, is aching like a bear.

For those who have never had a first-time physical therapy appointment, let me illustrate, if I may, with words.

First, you repeat everything stated above, even though they have it all down on paper in front of them.

Second, they prod you and ask you where it hurts the most.

Third, upon finding the most painful location, they prod you in varying degrees of pressure to determine "degrees of pain" from one to ten.

Fourth, they prod you in the painful location and then move your limb around in 360 circles, even if it doesn't move that way naturally, so as to determine how much more they can hurt you.

Now I know this will all be good. I know this is all diagnostic. But I can't move the right side of my body anymore. Even my migraine has switched to the right side of my head, and it's confused.

Here's hoping for better weather, or heavy drugs, whichever is fastest.

1 Comments:

Blogger Rabbitch said...

Oh sure, always gotta one-up me. I trash an ankle, you destroy a foot, knee and shoulder. I've got the flu with raging fevers, you've got migraines.

Hmph.

I suppose you think this is funny.

Seriously, I hope you get some relief for your injuries and soon!

2:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home