Saturday, March 05, 2005

and here I thought it was just a number

[ed. note: my favorite part about this guest blog of Rabbitch's is how naively innocent she was. Or maybe how not innocent I am. Allow me to be amused at her. *smirk* Also, she managed to comment on her own post of Thursday. That cracks even me up. Apologies for not posting this on Friday, I have been working LATE. Yes, on my first week at work. And then I went out for beer. Many, many beers. - Rebecca]

Seemingly there are far more naughty words than I had ever imagined possible. No more shall I mindlessly shout "ass" and combine it with every word in the English language for cheap amusement value. Well, except for "asstrumpet". You pretty much gotta keep that one.

Tonight, He Who Is Sometimes Marginally Helpful sent me a link that, quite clearly, BELONGS on Rebecca's blog.

Apparently there are 1,159 naughty words or phrases that cannot be printed on an NFL jersey.

Some, such as Fuckpig, Smackthemonkey and Ass Hore (the last of which should be banned on the basis of spelling alone) are self-explanatory. I doubt anyone would question the exclusion of Spermherder or Hershyhighway from the list expressions approved of by the NFL.

However, the inclusion of "420" on the forbidden list brought a certain amount of confusion to La Famille Lapin until a brief Google search brought us the explanation (courtesy of www.snopes.com) that "... '420' began its sub-rosa linguistic career in 1971 as a bit of slang casually used by a group of high school kids at San Rafael High School in California. '420' (always pronounced "four-twenty," never "four hundred and twenty") came to be an accepted part of the argot within that group of about a dozen pot smokers, beginning as a reminder of the time they planned to meet to light up, 4:20 p.m. Keep in mind this wasn't a general call to all dope smokers everywhere to toke up at twenty past four every day; it was twelve kids who'd made a date to meet near a certain statue. It's thus incorrect to deem that '420' originated as a national or international dope-smoking time, even though the term began as a reference to a particular time of day."

Well. Guess I wasn't one of the cool kids, then. (The fact that I was in high school in Canada and not in California has nothing to do with anything at all.)

I'm pretty disappointed to find out that "Uterus" is a dirty word, though. I thought we'd dragged our knuckles a little further along the dusty road to evolution by now.

Asstrumpets.

3 Comments:

Blogger Zardra said...

The stuff about 420 gave me a giggle... I went to Humboldt State (part of the Cal State Univeristy System) for a couple years... It, and the whole of Humboldt County, have the reputation of being pot country. Up there 420 is the time to toke up... a friend cleared a lawn of one of the dorms one day by loudly alerting people to the time (4:19). The first time I heard of 420, I was told that Jerry Garcia had informed an audience that 420 was the CA state penal code number for possession. I knew that was a crock, but I didn't know it came from San Raphael. That's just funny... :D

12:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I currently live in Canada -- but am originally from the states and spent some time in Atlanta along the way . . .
The 420 thing brings back memories. My friends always told me it was the code that the coppers used on their radios. 'er, we got a 420 her on the corner of main and 13th' or something. however, 420 didn't really have to be 4:20 -- anytime at all could have been 4:20...

12:38 PM  
Blogger Dympna said...

I was reading my paper the other day. They had a little tidbit about a grandmother that wanted to buy herself a football jersey with the last name of her favorite player. They wouldn't let her purchase the jersey. His last name is one of the banned words. I have no idea who he is but his last name is Gay.

1:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home