Monday, March 06, 2006

you said go slow i fall behind the second hand unwinds

I have a tremendous backlog of things I've promised to post. Here's a placeholder, and a place for you to let me know what I've missed.

1. Costa Rica pictures. These are unfortunately on The Man Who Lives in the House's computer, and it's hard for me to get access to that, ever, because he sleeps with it in his arms. Seriously. And those 17" Powerbooks are really heavy.

2. The Pluckyfluff fingerless mitts, I finished them over a month ago and I was gonna show them off. A couple of people have requested the pattern I made up for them. Is there any interest at all in me posting the pattern here?

3. Progress on My So-Called Scarf, and I'm so in love with the yarn and the pattern. And I want to make more.

4. I have a contest in mind, but I need to figure out how to best word it. There will be either one big prize or three smaller prizes.

5. I am donating some Cherry Tree Hill Supersock (and I had it before all of the hubbub, so relax, please) to the person who submits sock number 1,763 of the 2006Socks Amie is counting down. I've submitted three so far and am about to submit two more, so get on it, people!

6. I made the second hat in the hunter orange Karabella Aurora 8 and put pompons on both hats. This was my first experience, ever, with pompons. Seriously. I messed up the second one, big time, so I'm not sure about making them again, or maybe Pandora (my iPod nano) just isn't the right tool for pompon-making. And yes, I spell it "pompon." I think it's the original and more accurate spelling, although I do understand that "pompom" is accepted as an alternate spelling nowadays. I hate when the English language changes because people misspell or misuse words. People should learn to spell and speak correctly, instead of the language changing to suit them. Next thing you know, "irregardless" will become a bonafide word, and nobody will even know what "regardless" or "irrespective" mean anymore. People already use "nauseous" in place of the correct "nauseated." Napoleon (if you've been reading me for awhile you know who he is, otherwise, check the archives from January and February 2005) used to (well, he might still) say something was a "missive" when it was an error. The word is MISTAKE. A "missive" means a "letter." RRRRRRRRR. Assmonkey.

7 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

Amen sista - I'm with you on the whole grammer and using wrong words thing. One of our big bosses here has decided to use the word "incent" - as in to incent exceptional performance. He should be using incentivize. Ugh!

12:37 PM  
Blogger Hockey Mom said...

One of my all time favorites is "Valentime's."

Drives me batshit and I'm not normally like that.

1:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

On the whole, I agree with you enthusiastically. However, I use "pompom" because "pompon" is too close to "tampon" for my tastes. And I think the repetition makes the work more childlike, and therefore more apropriate.

My other guilty grammar admission is my constant misuse of the word "hopefully." I know that the common use of the word is wildly incorrect, yet I can't seem to stop.

1:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Almost *everybody* uses "nauseous" and that drives me nutty. It's gotten so bad that if someone says to me, "I feel nauseous," I reply, "yes, you make me sick." or similar.

I would like to see yuor Pluckyfluff mitt pattern please.

2:19 PM  
Blogger jodi said...

The phrase "I could care less" (when what one usually means to say is "I couldn't care less") is the one that drives me batshit. All it takes is one doofus to mess up and people will just repeat what they hear.

I got that word "batshit" from Hockey Mom, BTW. Did I use it correctly?

Also: Does everyone down here say "noo-kyoo-ler"? One of my professors said it in class about six times the other night, later on I had a cramp from wincing.

4:58 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

I'm guessing evil Napolean was trying to say it was 'amiss.' If I hear another person say 'irregardless,' I'll stab them.

The word is 'noo-cle-ar' unless you're the leader of the free world. I'm not a native Southerner, but both the husband and his brother (both born in Atlanta) mock Dubya everytime he says the word. I have a professor who regularly uses the wrong words. It's even more painful when he repeats himself.

'a lot' used to indicate a large amount is my pet peeve, only trumped by 'ain't.'

11:49 PM  
Blogger Micky said...

I would like to see the mitt pattern. That would be great.
:)

8:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home