Wednesday, October 10, 2007

me and my llama me and my llama we're going to the dentist today

I finished the second sleeve of the sweater. Tomorrow I'll start blocking it.

For my next trick, I give you this.
I know. It's a rare and magical creature, the gauge swatch. And while I like to live by the philosophy that gauge swatching is for pussies, in this case, it's good I did, because boy howdy was that gauge off, and I am NEVER off on gauge, but it's a thinner yarn than is used in the pattern I'm making, which is why I swatched. Which means I got gauge on a 15 for a yarn where the recommended needle is an 11, and the pattern calls for a 13. The resulting fabric is far looser and drapier than I want it to be. Do I try again on the 13? (I can't just go up a size, because I'm making the largest size, which should fit me exactly, and I'm not sure the math will work if I add stitches.)

The yarn I'm trying to use is the new Karabella La Llama, which is, amazingly enough, 100% dehaired llama. I know you couldn't have guessed that based on the name or anything.

Which brings me to my last point. Every time I sing the "me and my llama" song from Sesame Street quote in today's post title, people say I'm crazy and that they never saw that song. Well, for you naysayers, here you go. Begging the question, of course, of who has a pet llama in the middle of New York?

9 Comments:

Blogger dragon knitter said...

at least it's not a 10 ft python or a cougar!

7:00 AM  
Blogger pia said...

I clearly remember that skit/song from Sesame Street! Thank you for confirming I'm not the only one!

8:27 AM  
Blogger Janice in GA said...

Whoa. Never saw that clip/heard that song. But I know it now. :)

And I'd give $5 to be able to walk through the streets of New York, leading a llama. That would be cool.

10:21 AM  
Blogger jodi said...

That llama one was always one of my favourites. But I had a faulty memory of it: I thought there was a scene where the girl and the llama take an elevator together. I guess as a small-town kid I must have just assumed that if they lived in New York, they must have to take an elevator to get home.

4:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ya know, I always assumed I mighta made that up since I am usually the only one who remembers it! (But then again, I remember the whole damm ZOOM song, including "Zoom, box 350, Boston, Mass, ohhhh 2 1 3 4 0, send it to ZOOM!") Anyway...

THANK YOU SOOOOOOOOOOOOO much for my AMAZING, incredibly generous and OH SO YUMMY box of goodness that landed in my hands today! Full blog posting tomorrow, as soon as I get home from work. What's left of my evening is devoted to finishing the kitchen packing and for the life of me, I can't remember which "don't let the movers touch this, I will take it myself" box the camera is in so I need some time to locate it. I just wanted to make sure you knew it arrived, in EXCELLENT condition, and that I am VERY appreciative. I certainly hope your Godmother treated you as well as you have treated me *S*

8:54 PM  
Blogger Trixie said...

You are such a quality Auntie! YOU KNOW THE LLAMA SONG! Andrew is lucky to have you. We practiced wearing the pumpkin hat today - getting ready for the big event! I am hoping he will keep it on if he is familiar with it. He just wanted to eat it.

Oh and how does wool handle drool?

6:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the llama song/skit! I could probably sing it right now, despite not seeing it for about 25 years. You rock!

3:39 PM  
Blogger Jessie Mae said...

Oh man! I love the llama song. It was one of my favorites growing up, and watching it again now, it still is. Huzzah!

7:52 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Okay, that song/skit is the reason I fell in love with llamas!!!

7:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home