Monday, May 09, 2005

miss mary mack, mack, mack

This post is kindly being posted by Rabbitch on my behalf.

I have a cousin named Mary Mack.

She's a stunningly beautiful and in some ways childlike creature who
could pass as an Irish queen.

She's the little sister I never had.

When I was 8 and Mary was 5, I taught her the song "Miss Mary Mack":

Miss Mary Mack, Mack Mack
All dressed in black, black, black
With silver buttons, buttons, buttons
All down her back, back, back.
She asked her mother, mother, mother
For fifty cents, cents, cents
To see the elephants, elephants, elephants
Jump over the fence, fence, fence.
They jumped so high, high, high
They reached the sky, sky, sky
They didn't get back, back, back
'Till the Fourth of July, July, July...


She was a bright, inquisitive child, and I didn't see her much when we
grew up, because we lived so far apart.

Last night, on Mother's Day, Mary passed away.

My family is still in shock.

Miss Mary Mack, I hope you find the elephants jumping as high as the
sky, whereever you may be. The world is a lonelier place without you,
but we were enriched for having had known you.

I'll miss you in my life.

itgirl

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

{{{{hugs}}}} life's been a bit rough on you recently, huh? :(

Was nice meeting you on Saturday...wish I could have hung around with everyone.

6:55 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Hey Rebecca - I'm so sorry to hear about Mary. You're in my thoughts & prayers.

It was a blast hanging around with you Saturday and we'll have to get together again.

Sending good, love ya vibes!

7:40 PM  
Blogger Colette said...

Hi Rebecca - I'm sorry about your cousin - I know how hard it is to lose someone you loved as a child. I will keep you in my thoughts and light a candle for Mary Mack.

8:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Was she the one we saw New Kids On The Block with?

8:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wait, no, that was Stephanie. I miss her, too. Can someone be dead to you if you just know you'll never see them again?

8:40 PM  
Blogger Rabbitch said...

Dude. I'm here.

10:11 PM  
Blogger dragon knitter said...

i hate it when it's sudden like that. no time to do anything, like say good bye. hang in there, kiddo, we're all pulling for ya

10:48 PM  
Blogger Stacey said...

{{becca}} So sorry to hear about your cousin.

I thought of something good about breaking your arm... you could have used your cast to beat others away from yarn you wanted at MS&W.

How's the foot? BTW, no matter what your ghost writer says...I believe you about being able to break it at your desk... could have been a stress fracture

11:08 PM  
Blogger Trixie said...

Honey we love you. I bought knitting books today and you can have first pick. I know that won't help the sorrow but maybe just maybe it will give you something to look forward too.

11:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rebecca. I am so sorry to hear about your cousin. She will always be alive in your thoughts.

Get well soon.
Keiana

12:16 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

So sorry for your loss. {{{hugs}}}

2:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home