Wednesday, January 25, 2006

tempted by the fruit of another

So, I'm pretty much a shitty crocheter, but I tend to want to crochet items that are way over my head crochet-wise because, you know, why couldn't I manage that? So, having made barely any articles of clothing in crochet, and certainly never anything resembling a sweater, I was thinking about if I were to join the Knitting Olympics, what would I do that would be a challenge to me? And this is what mine eye spied from the latest Interweave Crochet:
The Pirate's Jacket by Teva Durham. Now, here's what's so wrong about me making this.

1. I suck at crochet.
2. I have never made a sweater in crochet, and this one appears to be more difficult than most.
3. I suck at crochet.
4. I don't even know what Trendsetter Dolcino is.
5. It appears to be a ribbon. Ick. This would make crocheting it even more difficult.
6. I suck at crochet.
7. That jacket would hit my hips right, yep, where it would emphasize my ginormous ass. This would not be a good look for me.
8. There appears to be no crochet allowed in the Knitting Olympics.
9. I suck at crochet.

Therefore, I feel compelled to make this item. Does anyone know where I can buy Dolcino or an adequate sub?

To prove my crochet skillz, I give you an afghan I crocheted five years ago.
and for a closeup of those mad stitches
I know, you can all bow before my skillz now.

A mixed bag of comments on my new color. I liked the previous color as well, a bit limier than the jade Melissa went into detail (ad nauseum) about, but on my (fairly new) work computer (the dreaded PC), it was just plain fug. I'm leaving it like this for now and may change it again in the next few days.

11 Comments:

Blogger ThreeOliveMartini said...

i have made that jacket and didnt use the ribbon yarn .. i used Noro Blossom and i love how it turned out

10:55 AM  
Blogger jodi said...

Honestly, that jacket looks like you could make mistakes and it wouldn't necessarily ruin it. You know, like maybe the randomly crooked edge is crooked in the wrong place because you missed some stitches--so what? As long as the shoulders fit okay the rest seems idiot-proof.

Not sure I'd want that hem over MY bum, though. But it is cute.

11:03 AM  
Blogger jenifleur said...

I think your background should stay lime, but have lots and lots of monkeys.

And if people can spin for the knitting olympics I see no reason why you couldn't crochet. But I'm not like a referee or anything so what do I know?

12:31 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Monkeys!! Woohoo!

So I'm passionate about colors. It's not like I named the culture or anything. Just wait until you ever give me an opening to go into Buddhism's influence on Asian art ;-P

12:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm liking this toned-down green...it's kind of soothing, even if it does make my eyes go wonky when I go back to a mainly white screen.

And, you know...I've never seen a crocheted article of clothing that I liked, until now. That jacket is pretty cute. Tell you what...why don't you crochet and figure it out, and then tell me if it's worth it. ;)

1:42 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

that jacket is on my wish list, too, though i'm much more a crocheter than a knitter, so it doesn't scare me off too much. my "crochet wish list" is topped with goods for my pregnant friends at the moment, but would love to hear your progress on this - and answer pattern questions if i can help.

2:11 PM  
Blogger Micky said...

You could organize an Anti-Knitting Olympics. Or you could just do it cause you want to. Rules are sometimes meant to be broken you know.
Lots of people are changing their blogs. I guess it's a new year kind of thing.
:)

8:07 PM  
Blogger Diann Lippman said...

I've knitted with Dolcino, and thought "never again". Then I bought some Lion Brand Incredible (I think that's the ribbon yarn) and it's basically the same - and I said "never again" again - but a lot less pricey!

That said, go for it. I can't really comment on crochet, since I don't, but what the heck? It's your challenge!

9:17 PM  
Blogger Zen Wizard said...

Reprazent!!

(Does one need a "coach" for the Knitting Olympics?? Are steroids allowed???)

10:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is such a cool sweater! I would make it for me if I didn't have such a big butt. BTW, there is a Crochet Olympics going on on Crafter.org--here's the official announcement:

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=74471.0

10:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you have the pattern that you woldn't mind sharing. I hve nver don wardrobe before, I will likely mess up. But, it wuldn't hurt to rto prove to myself I can't.

8:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home