Friday, February 03, 2006

old pirates yes they rob i sold i to the merchant ships

I once worked at a store where the store owner played "Redemption Song" over and over and over again. One 90 minute tape, just "Redemption Song" repeated. Think of how long that took him to make with the days of yore and Ye Olde Mix Tapes. And I always thought (back then) that the first line of that song was:

Oh, a pirate's just a rabbi
Sold out to the merchant ships


And I never understood what pirates had to do with rabbis.

I'm insanely jealous of everyone making the pirate hat, because I don't have anything in my stash that would work for it and I'm too lazy to like, buy new yarn. I know what you're saying. There's no such thing. But I think I might have hit a current saturation point. I actually want to knit with what I have, but I feel flooded (to use a dog behavioral term) with my yarn so I don't know what to do.

Maybe I'll set up a poll so you can tell me what to do next. Because I have so much right now, I'm at a loss.

Does anyone else ever feel this way?

7 Comments:

Blogger Scoutj said...

Do Odessa with me! Or Ruffles?

8:36 AM  
Blogger Hockey Mom said...

It happens to me a lot. Apathy can be a symptom of being overwhelmed. Or, you just don't care.

When you doing a Clapotis?

9:42 AM  
Blogger jenifleur said...

All the time.

11:29 AM  
Blogger Trixie said...

I am coming right over to sort this out! Hold on!

12:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The sensation of being overwhelmed by the yarn I have is familiar, but I can't say I identify with the concept of not buying new yarn. In fact, buying new yarn is usually my solution. But then, my stash is still on the small side, so maybe it's just a matter of time.

1:18 PM  
Blogger Colette said...

You just need excitement - go buy some qiviut - that will make you feel better.

Will I see you in MD this year?

3:27 PM  
Blogger Zen Wizard said...

Without looking at the lyric sheet, no one who is not a Rastafarian could ever figure out that the lyric is, "Old pirates, yes they rob I"--even if they listened to it a million times, because the sentence is conjugated in Jamaican dialect which some people believe is a separate language.

The "I" is what most Americans would use "me" for, and they really didn't rob him, they falsely imprisoned him, which was the contention of Dred Scott in the case of Sandford v. Dred Scott, which sorta/kinda helped start the Civil War.

(Now that I have bored you to tears, the knitting will seem really exciting...)

10:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home