Wednesday, March 08, 2006

si yo no te tengo yo prefiero la muerte porque eres tu la magia de mi piel

I LOVE Carnivals of Death. One summer, Vitriola and I went to every one we passed in the Albany NY area. Some weird stoned guy running the Spider (sometimes called Octopus or Scrambler) was all about hitting on Vitriola. So when my friend called to say there was a Carnival of Death in the parking lot of the K-Mart near her house, we knew we had to go. Last night, The Man Who Lives in the House and I drove over to her house, picked her and her friend up, and prepared for a fun! and festive! evening at El Carnaval de la Muerte (since it's in a largely Hispanic area of town, we had to use the Spanish terminology). The ticket booth made us wait for a long time, when we went to get new tickets, because a family was confused over pricing.
Our first ride was the Sea-Ray, which in upstate New York at The Great Escape amusement park was called the Viking. This swings back and forth but never goes all the way around, which confused The Man because he didn't understand why we weren't really strapped in until the ride ended.
I didn't get a good picture pf the crow's nest on it, but it was shaking and enhanced the enjoyment of the ride in that we were never certain when it was going to fall off entirely and hit us. But here's a shot of the parking lot while on the ride
and this shows just how popular the ride was, since The Man and I were in the last seat on one side, and my friends were in the last seat on the other.

I also made the three of them ride the Gravitron (called The Rotor at The Great Escape) and we rode the Ferris wheel and the thing that's like the Gravitron but is outside and you're in wire cages and it was really REALLY fucking cold.

And afterwards, feeling sick, we decided it would be a good idea to go to eat Bangladeshi food at one of our favorite restaurants, Panahar.

And that's why I feel kinda sick today.

10 Comments:

Blogger Mouse said...

The menu of that restaraunt looks awesome.. I'm sitting here drooling on myself. I think half the fun of those carnivals is hoping that you survive the ride.. after all, they put those rides together and still have a box of "extra parts" left.

12:01 PM  
Blogger Hockey Mom said...

I'm with Mouse! That looks absolutely wonderful.

I'm hungry now.

I refuse to ride those things. My dh loves those rides. Go figure.

12:14 PM  
Blogger Mel said...

I don't do any "spinny" rides, but I love the pirate ship ride, and the seats on the end are the best! I love how you come out of your seat a little bit.

1:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh lord. I've been on a Sea-Ray/Viking/Swingy-Ship-Thing ride once, at Tivoli Gardens in Copenhagen. My boyfriend at the time (I was there visting him) convinced me to go on it with him. I screamed "I hate you" for almost the entire ride (much to the amusement of the Danes, most of whom speak English.)

I don't do well on amusment park rides.

2:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How fun!

Oh, in answer to your question, this Friday is the Sci-Fi Friday triathalon of season-enders.

3:37 PM  
Blogger Zardra said...

Wow... a Gravitron... the last time I remember going on one of those was at the Morris County Fair in Upstate NY, and some chick puked on the leather coat of the guy next to her.

4:42 PM  
Blogger Zardra said...

Wow... a Gravitron... the last time I remember going on one of those was at the Morris County Fair in Upstate NY, and some chick puked on the leather coat of the guy next to her.

4:42 PM  
Blogger dragon knitter said...

sounds like good fun all around (except the sick part).

the yarn came today. wehre in the world did you get those postcards, they are just too rich!

thanks!

11:27 PM  
Blogger Trixie said...

Wow, what gives with not going to Carnivals of Death with us? I love them too. The last one I went too was with Mango Salsa in Tallahassee about upteen years ago. My favorites are the scrambler and the tilt-a-whirl and any of the circle rides. Not big on the Ferris Wheel due to my heights issue but I will do it if you don't rock the cart. Gravitron is a lovely circle ride! I can do the ship ride (totally called the Viking or sometimes a Pirate themed ride) too but it is not nearly as fun. I will not the one however which goes completely over/up side down. Nope. No how.

4:50 AM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Bet you never knew that I worked at one of those for a while. I worked the game that you have to throw the ball into those big jugs. Only on the weekends when that particular carnival was in the area. And no you cannot tell the Crazy Lady or her brother. I do not think he know and he would not be pleased, even if it is 17 years later.

1:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home